Category Archives: MiniAmigoBot

Since we’re making a minime already… Why not make an AmigoBot?

Extreme Goodies

Arron just told me about deal extreme, and it’s a great site for cheap china electronics. One of the largest problems with the previous Arduino minime setup was the voltage regulator, which kept burning out – you can find a cheap buck converter (a much better piece of electronics which accomplishes the same function) on there for about 3.90, which is about as cheap as it gets.

With this, I could get a 3s or 12V battery pack and use the buck converter to get the voltage down to 5V so the Arduino could accept it safely (but actually the arduino can accept up to 12V so this isn’t needed, and if it must it can take up to 20V) but in the interest of preserving the Arduino and having a relatively constant voltage supply this is probably the best way to go about it. 12V is also the recommended voltage for most dc motors, so a 12V pack is generally a good idea.

You could also get interesting things like a dc motor controller, which can take up to 800mA, perfect for two low power Pololu micrometal gear motors rated for 0.36A each.

And whaddyaknow shipping to Singapore is free. Win.

Advertisements

Timeline for Developing the miniamigobot

We have to rush crazily before the academic term begins to get our stuff up, and we don’t want to sit on this project for too long.

Endpoint: A small robot that can move around at a rough speed of about 10cm/s and be able to sense it’s surroundings with two sonars that can be swivelled about. This robot must be able to interface through a serial port with a mac/pc/linuxbox running Python code. Sample python and arduino code must exist to show that this robot can run simple algorithms such as AngleProp and DelayProp.

From now till 16 Sept (start of term): Fabrication and Cadding

Term 4 Week 1-4: Coding and Testing

Term 4 Week 5-6: Testing and Preparation for presentation

Term 4 Recess Week (week 7): Presentation

Term 7: Next batch of 3.007 happens, and if this works out we’ll be providing support.

Le Mini Amigo Bot

In term 2 we were tasked to build a “minime” for 3.007, which was a small vehicle powered by a rechargeable battery pack and controlled by an Arduino.

The great minime

The great minime

Largely to teach us fabrication methods, we spent the week using Solidworks to CAD the minime and then sawing and bending acrylic to make the chassis. We then connected a bunch of wires to a breadboard and attached the servo motors and we had our very own robotics car controlled by a photoresistor (turn left if light, turn right if no light etc.)

And then in term 3, we had the AmigoBot for use in Digital World, where we experimented with Signals and Systems and used algorithms to turn sensor input into movement output.

But the AmigoBot was not ideal for a number of reasons:

  1. They spoilt easily, despite having a polycarbonate shell etc. This also included the port for the wire, which somehow had really bad connectivity.
  2. It was heavy, which meant that it spoilt easier. This also meant that algorithms were inherently significantly off due to a lack of ability to account for inertia.
  3. They were not repairable in house, so we always had to get someone to repair them.
  4. They cost roughly $3000.

And so the miniamigobot was born – why pay $3000 for something you can pay a little more and get each student to make? While it is an added long term cost for the school to keep buying parts and giving them to students, I believe that the learning opportunity from a project like this can be well worth it.

All we needed was two sonars, two servo motors to swivel those sonars around, and voila we’ll be done… or so we thought. After some research and collection of scrap electronics lying around we realized a few things:

  1. Sonars come in many shapes and sizes. And costs.
  2. Getting accurate feedback from each wheel is not going to be easy – there are two ways to do this, with a stepper motor or with a dc motor that comes with an encoder.
  3. But using a dc motor would require a different arduino, more specifically, a dfrduino romeo.
  4. Getting python (the DigiWorld course is run in python) to talk to the Arduino over serial might not be as easy as we thought.

And so this led to the new to do list:

  1. Test different sonars on different surfaces and angles to find the most cost effective solution (we’re all about $$ here)
  2. Test various feedback mechanisms
  3. Research on (dc controller + arduino) vs (dfrduino romeo) vs (servo motor + hacked on feedback mechanism)
  4. Get python and arduino to talk to each other, prove that AngleProp and DelayProp both work.