Prototyping has finally begun and was actually slated to be finished last week.
However the moment we began building we quickly realized that some of the joints we wanted to have in our CAD model weren’t possible (or just required extra machining and little to no added benefit). And so we began the long and absorbing process of figuring out how to fix it, cadding it, exporting it, running to the laser cutter, laser cutting, running back, finding out it doesn’t work, and restart. Sadly, most of our parts still aren’t perfect, but we’re getting there =/
We went through many iterations of various small parts of the vehicle in this manner, especially the brakes, which we’re on our 5th or 6th version of (we sort of lost count).
I guess it’s a really good thing that Charles wanted us to prototype – we might have committed many of these parts to metal if we didn’t prototype with wood. I think it’s gotten to a point where we’d like to build a go kart out of wood just to make 100% sure that everything works.
It’d be super awesome if Charles managed to get 0.25 inch thick MDF/plywood though. While the 0.125 inch plywood is free, its not that easy to get dimensions right when the MDF is half the thickness.