Monthly Archives: July 2013

Solder, solder, solder, solder.

photo

Our controller came with the ring terminals. However, we decided that they wouldnt be too glam when we put it our our kart. Therefore, we decided to swap all of them out into the bullet connectors. They look awesome.

photo copy

Well, here’s a picture of the ring terminals before soldering.

IMG_0268

After soldering millions of parts, we had to painstakingly connect all the wiring. It’s really quite messy.

IMG_0267

Our 2 cool switches in the middle of our kart.

IMG_0265

Just look at the mess of wires!

IMG_0264

The Batt Mobile. Complete with all electronics. We can’t wait till we connect the battery and fire it up tomorrow!

Till then.

Advertisements

Rolling test… Completed!

IMG_0242

Today’s the big day! Rolling test!

IMG_0243

Mounted accelerator pedal.

IMG_0244

Another view of the go kart.

IMG_0245 IMG_0246

Steering and motor!

IMG_0247

Motor.

IMG_0248

Batt Mobile

IMG_0250

Hall Effect sensor.

IMG_0251

Soldered hall effect sensor.

IMG_0252

Yes we passed the rolling test! Here’s our certificate 😛

IMG_0253

Us in front of The Batt Mobile.

IMG_0254

We got 10/10 wooo!

IMG_0255 IMG_0256

Once again the soldered hall sensors.

IMG_0257

The wires coming out from our throttle.

That concludes our journey with the Mechanical Component of this EV summer program. Time for electronics! Can’t wait to get the car moving!

Chassis… Completed!

And so… We began our assembly after dinner, at about… 8pm?

IMG_0229

Andrew fixing the front wheel.

IMG_0230

Andrew fixing the front wheel again. The front wheel was slightly problematic as the holes were somehow misaligned. They weren’t misaligned the first time we put them in. We think it was largely due to the fact that the top and bottom plates were not aligned properly. Nonetheless, the wheels can somewhat rotate. Do remember to align the top and bottom plate in future!

IMG_0231

Accelerator pedal fixed onto chassis. The front segment gave us many problems. We had to take the bars in and out and in and out many times because we forgot 1 bracket or something like that. Or we had to adjust the position of certain components. It was really time consuming.

IMG_0232

Front wheels, brakes, accelerator completed! (Part of steering as well)

IMG_0234

Some random picture, nothing much to take note of, other than the 2 horizontal aluminium 0.25inch plates across the chassis. We cut the 0.125 ones wrongly. Sadly 😦 what a waste.

IMG_0236

Fixing on the back wheel. Once again this was another problematic one as we fixed on the rear wheel as a whole, together with the chain and motor. It was really hard to squeeze the 80/20 in between the plates!

IMG_0237

Brakes proved to be really difficult as well. We had to find a balance of it being too close to the wheel and it being unable to provide enough force when we jam the brakes.

IMG_0238

Almost completed, with steering wheel on. The steering wheel is really quite bad as it is not 100% attached to the shaft. It’s kinda loose. When we turn, the steering wheel just rotates about the axis but the wheels don’t turn. Gotta fix that.

IMG_0239

After 7 long hours of fixing, we are finally done with our chassis! Here’s a picture of Andrew sitting on the kart.

IMG_0240

Here’s a picture of our kart! Batt Mobileeeeee. Did we mention that the seats are made from towels? It’s really comfy. Do try it!

IMG_0241

Another perspective of the bat mobile! More work to be done on tweaking steering and brakes and we are ready for mech inspection.

Signing off at 4:11am :O

 

IMG_3120

 

So… Our wheels are finally complete! We drilled the washer and the sprocket onto the wheel with the inner ring of the plastic wheel. Charles used 6 screws for Chibikart. 6 screws sounds legit, but we thought we would just go 12 for extra safety 😀

 

 

IMG_3121

Loctite-ed bolt. I think Andrew blogged about it previously already. So yes we have to saw this bolt down as it was blocking our steering. Cold Saw and Band Saw won’t work as it can’t cut steel. I had to hack saw it really really hard. And then we found something awesome and cut it really quickly!

 

IMG_0221

Okay here’s the sewing machine we borrowed to sew our “beach chair” that is going to be attached to our go kart.

IMG_0220

Winding the bobbin.

IMG_0219

Finally threaded the machine after learning how to thread it. So I spent like 5 hours figuring out why the stupid machine makes all the thread really lose behind but really nice from the front. And then Xin Hui chanced upon me sewing something and she asked what I was doing. I told her about the seat and she said she has sewn stuff before!

IMG_0226

And so yes here is Xin Hui helping us sew the seat made from a towel.

IMG_0227

The completed towel! 4 lines of stitching

IMG_0228

Here’s the seat, 8 inches wide and 21 inches long.

So yes that’s it for today. 4 more days till Mech inspection

Loctite

2013-07-22 21.50.43

And so we’ve finally started loctiting our stuff. All our wheels are now liberally blessed with loctite, and soon our entire cart will be loctited. Mwahaha. The brake lever in the photo now works as well. Woohoo.

That said, we’re having a huge problem with the chain tension:

2013-07-20 00.31.03

The chain tension in this picture is immense. I don’t know how we gorilla-ed it in, but it’s insane. Probably gotta do something to the motor mount holes to get the tension down.